London is the most unequal region in the UK. Our capital has the highest rates of poverty, while being home to more billionaires than any other city. Inequality has been rising, as housing values have rocketed. There is a large gap between rich and poor. Even among those with wealth there is a huge gulf between the well-off and the super-rich. Inequality is bad for everyone, but particularly for those on low incomes. We want to see a fairer London.
What we'll fund
Including campaigning, organising, policy work and research on issues such as:
- Improving the understanding of the impact of income and wealth inequality and development of solutions to reduce the gap.
- Increasing the involvement of employees in corporate governance, leading to greater transparency on remuneration policies, including pay ratios.
- Reducing income inequality, including a fairer distribution of wages, pension contributions and other employee benefits and rewards. This could include shareholder action.
- Greater transparency on property and land ownership and reforms leading to fairer taxation.
- Improving understanding of public attitudes on income and wealth inequality, leading to greater support for change.
- Examining how inclusive growth and devolution might be used to address economic inequality.