More than 170,000 Londoners are living in temporary accommodation. This report explores how people's health and wellbeing is impacted by temporary accommodation.
The report outlines what we already know, by reviewing existing literature. It then outlines findings from interviews and workshops with those living in temporary accommodation.
Some of the key themes that came up included:
- A lack of choice, control and autonomy
- Experiences of poor and inappropriate accommodation
- An inability to put down roots and engage with support within the community
- Feelings of isolation, insecurity and hopelessness
- Improve the availability and quality of housing provided
- Equip people living in TA with appropriate support
- Provide and encourage more opportunities for joint working between housing and health sectors
- Ensure TA is person-centred and psychologically informed